More importantly, would it still be as good as before without its main star and creator?
UPDATE, JANUARY 2018: It was just confirmed that ‘Expendables 4’ not only will air this year but Sylvester Stallone will reprise his role of Barney Ross. It is expected that the budget will surpass $100 000 000 and luckily the flick will be R-rated following the fiasco of the PG-13-rated third installment back in 2014.
The shooting is set to start in August 2018!
Even that it is still not officially confirmed, rumor has it that Sly won’t take part in the fourth installment of the manliest action movie ever, due to conceptual disagreements with the producer Avi Lerner.
The world responded with one huge “Oh, No!” to this shocking news, while the always cool-headed Sly continues to keep diplomatic silence.
Being one of the most beloved action stars in Hollywood, Sylvester Stallone is also known as a controversial persona in the film industry.
During his remarkable career, he has been nominated for 3 Oscars and tens of other prestigious awards that any actor would strive to have.
At the same time, he holds a record for being among the nominees for the Razzie award for worst actor with 14 nominations and four wins.
There is one thing however that one must attribute to Sly and this is his undeniable ability to create iconic characters and multimillion-dollar franchises.
That was the case with “Rocky”, that was the case with “Rambo” and lately, that is the case with “The Expendables”.
When it comes to the last one, it is a fact that the key element of the celebrated franchise is that it gathers a bunch of the most popular Hollywood (action) actors on one screen.
In the past three “Expendables” films we have had the pleasure to see an impressive action elite including stars such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Dolph Lundgren, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Mel Gibson, Jet Li, Chuck Norris, Scott Adkins, Jason Statham, Gary Daniels, Mickey Rourke, Randy Couture, Eric Roberts, Wesley Snipes, Harrison Ford, the MMA sensation Ronda Rousey, Antonio Banderas, etc.
The exciting thing for us, the fans, is that with every sequel, there is another famous action star, ‘summoned’ by Sly to join the big-budgeted action film.
That is why every upcoming sequel was highly anticipated and loaded with big expectations.
Stallone didn’t just create a commercially successful action flick, full of gunfire, muscular machos, and spectacular stunts.
By creating “The Expendables” phenomenon, Sly managed not only to invent a formula for a sure-to-be action hit but also to accomplish two important tasks.
First, he fulfilled the dreams of millions of fans worldwide by giving them the chance to see all their beloved action stars on one screen doing what they do best.
Secondly, he revamped some fading careers and also gave a stage for some new to the cinema names, yet famous in other fields.
In that way, Stallone provided a large mainstream audience for direct to video stars such as Jean-Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Scott Adkins and Gary Daniels who have probably forgotten what it was like to be on the big screen.
The MMA champions and wannabe actors Ronda Rousey, Victor Ortiz, Randy Couture as well as the wrestling star Steve Austin, were also lucky enough to star in the franchise, thus receiving a once in a lifetime opportunity to successfully switch career paths.
‘The Expendables 4’ will be a more tough work to do than expected
The fourth installment of the series is expected to air in 2018 and as the previous parts, it is an object of many rumors, gossip, and unconfirmed facts.
As already mentioned the most shocking news is the departure of the creator and leading star Sylvester Stallone.
As it appears, both men have had such disagreements in the past for the previous three films of the series so their ongoing disagreement is not something unusual.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has a small role in the series as Trench, also expressed his denial to participate in a next film if Stallone won’t be involved.
The good thing is that as per Avi Lerner’s words, the ‘divorce’ is not at 100 percent sure.
Besides, the hope dies last, right?
Who will star in the long-awaited fourth installment?
When it comes to the stars, expected to join the cast of “The Expendables 4”, there are also many unconfirmed rumors.
Without a further ado, here are some of the actors who are rumored to participate in the fourth part:
- Pierce Brosnan – the ex-James Bond has stated that he already confirmed his agreement to take part in an “Expendables” installment.
It is just not clear in which one it is going to be. Hopefully, it will be in the upcoming one because as per Stallone’s words, the fourth sequel will be the last one.
For sure the talented Irish actor would give a stylish nuance to the series.
- Jack Nicholson – the Hollywood legend who has almost retired from filmmaking is expected to join the cast in the role of the villain.
It is going to be so much fun watching the Oscar- winning Jack next to Van Damme and Lundgren, don’t you think?
- Robert De Niro – Sly strengthened his bond with arguably the most accomplished living actor and legend Robert De Niro during the filming of the sports comedy-drama “Grudge Match” (2013).
- Joe Pesci – the talented star from “Goodfellas” and “Home Alone” is the other famous name rumored to join the list of actors, ‘blessed’ to take part of this huge project.
- Al Pacino – the presence of the other living legend of the modern cinema in “The Expendables” is shrouded in mystery but it surely does give us some positive vibrations.
- Steven Seagal – the aikido master has already denied participating in the first part of “The Expendables” back in 2010 and Sylvester Stallone has revealed his aspirations to have the celebrated action star in one of the films.
Steven for sure has a lot to offer to the franchise and he is expected to take the part of a villain.
- Clint Eastwood – Sly Stallone is an ambitious guy and a dream achiever. That’s for sure.
Stallone has said numerous times that he wants Clint in the cast and if that happens, nobody would disagree.
- Vin Diesel – the star from “Fast and Furious” and “XXX” is probably the most trending Hollywood action star at the moment, so it will be awesome if Stallone, Avi Lerner, and Diesel manage to find common grounds regarding his presence in “The Expendables 4”.
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson – the Rock is also one of the most popular action stars at the moment and he is proven to be a good investment when it comes to hiring him in an action movie.
Johnson is born to be an action star with a proven record of movie hits so his place in “The Expendables” can only cement the franchise as one of the most successful ones ever.
This is only a small portion of the actors rumored to join the cast of the highly expected fourth sequel of the franchise and basically, almost every famous masculine name among the popular actors is a potential participant in “The Expendables”.
What will happen? We shall wait and see.
One thing leaves no doubt – when the movie comes out in 2018 with or without Stallone, it is going to be a sensation.
Which star are you most excited to see in “The Expendables 4”?
Do you think that the movie is going to be worthwhile without Sylvester Stallone?
Drop me a comment below and let’s start the discussion.
Sources: Wikipedia.com, Imdb.com, deadline.com.